Friday, July 16, 2010

Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracks




Yesterday, on our way across Wyoming, we took the opportunity to stop at the Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracksite. I don't know why this isn't in more guide books, I only found out about it by accident. Anyway, it's a collection of more than 1,100 dinosaur tracks.

They are preserved in rock, and at first you can't see them at all! But then, you figure out what you're looking at and for, and you see them everywhere.

The footsteps are in patterns. This one section of rock is so plentiful with tracks that they call it the ballroom, because it looks like the dinosaurs were dancing across the mud when the tracks were formed. In the photos of the kids above, they are moving from track to track.

Also at the site, you can fossil hunt. Any vertebrates have to be left behind, but you can pick up invertebrates (as long as you don't sell them). Graham and I found a number of fossilized clams and oysters and collected a small baggie of specimens to bring home.

No comments:

Post a Comment